Thinking about Tax Season? Think about Identity Theft
There are several ways criminals try to exploit seniors. One of the most common ways is by stealing your identity. Here are some tips, recommended by the Academy of Florida Elder Law Attorneys, about how to minimize your chances of falling victim to the unscrupulous:
- Shred important papers.
- Don’t put outgoing mail in an unsecured mailbox.
- Don’t carry too many credit cards.
- Only share personal information on the phone or Internet if you initiate contact.
- Use virus protection and a firewall on your computer
- Review your credit report annually.
If you suspect exploitation, here are some resources:
- Florida Abuse Hotline 1-800- 96-ABUSE
- Florida Elder Help Line 1-800- 963-5337
- Elder Consumer Protection Program www.elder.law.stetson.edu
- National Center on Elder Abuse www.ncea.aoa.gov
- Academy of Florida Elder Law Attorneys. www.afela.org