LGBT Federal Employee Benefits Deadline – File Today for Your Benefits
Deadline: File Today for Your LGBT Federal Employee Benefits
As a result of the United States Supreme Court’s opinion in Windsor, the Office of Personnel Management announced on July 3, 2013 that same-sex spouses and children of married LGBT federal employees and annuitants will now be eligible for federal benefits (if married prior to June 26, 2013). August 26, 2013 is the last day to enroll their spouse and children in the programs. Don’t miss the deadline or you will need to wait until open enrollment on November 1st (benefits may not be effective until January 1, 2014). Here is what you need to know:
- Benefits are available regardless of the current state of residence.
- This is not available for federal employees or annuitants who entered into civil unions or registered as domestic partners.
- Legally married same sex spouses are now eligible family members under self and family enrollment for employee health benefits (FEHB).
- Children, as well as stepchildren, are included in the benefits.
- Same-sex spouses of the federal employee and children are now covered under group life insurance (FEGLI).
- Coverage for dental and vision is now available for same-sex spouses and children.
- Same-sex spouses are now eligible to apply for federal long term care insurance.
- The LGBT federal employee can request reimbursement from their flexible spending account for eligible health care expenses for their spouse and children
While the memos issued by the Office of Program Management state that the employing offices should be flexible in allowing late enrollment please do not delay.
Protect your rights today. Consult with our office about your aging and long term care planning needs.